26 February 2009

inspiration: the real deal

I stumbled across this during my daily blog-infusion this morning, and it just blew me away.

I've mentioned before how much I love A Practical Wedding -- Meg has such a great sense of style, and really keeps Wedding Insanity in its proper perspective. This morning she did a feature on the lovely New England wedding of Rebecca and Thom. I probably would've swooned over their pics anyway, due to my considerable crush on the city of Boston. And her description of their "open mic" ceremony, during which their loved ones were invited to speak about love & marriage, has been filed away in my brain's Ideas folder.

But what really got to me was this quote from the bride: "I knew ... that I am the only person who can ruin my wedding -- by letting the small stuff get to me -- and as long as Thom and I were married at the end of the day, it was going to be the best day of my life (so far!)."

Could you die? Because I sure as hell could. Instead of having a breakdown over non-"perfect" flowers, a less-adept than advertised organist, or anything else that wasn't straight out of Martha Stewart Weddings, she smiled. And had a good time. And still ended up married at the end of the day ... minus the frown lines.

So all of the fabulous women who are going to be present at my nuptual shindig are hereby on notice: Just in case I begin to behave as though I've forgotten these words, please print them out and bring them to the ceremony. And if necessary, roll up the piece of paper & smack me with it until I get the fuck over myself.

1 comment:

Victory Bird said...

haha, I had the same reaction. "Please violently remind me of these words on my wedding day, if the need arises." She is truly a Great Lady.